Quantcast
Creative Personalization and Unique Gifts all with a Needle and Thread.

Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Machine Embroidery on Towels and a Great Tip




I am so happy to have had Emily home from college and I have her yet for one more week then she is off again for another semester.  Emily has asked me to do some embroidery for her and I'm thrilled to oblige.  One thing she asked for help with is in making a gift for her sorority twin.  Emily picked out the towel and we chose these Greek letters from Embroidery Library.  I'm so pleased with the results!

Here is a great tip for stitching on towels.  When stitching on towels you must use a topper or else your stitches will sink into the towel and be hidden.  Most times you hear of using water soluble stabilizer.  That is an acceptable option except that when washing it out, it can leave the area around the design somewhat stiff.  Instead of using water soluble stabilizer, try using tulle in a color that matches the towel or matches your stitches.  I used the white tulle you see here in the picture.  I cut two pieces to cover the design area.  I placed the pieces of tulle at an angle to one another and then stitched the design.  Once the design was finished stitching, I carefully tore most of the tulle away and cut away whatever remained.  The tulle, plus the fact that this was a solid design will insure that the loops of terry cloth will not poke through the design.  I purchased these rolls of tulle at Hobby Lobby.  Be sure to use that 40% coupon!  You only use enough to cover your design so you don't need much.

One more bonus with using the tulle:  If you leave just a very slight amount around the edge of your design, small meaning 1/16", that will help keep the terry cloth loops around the outside of the design from coming over the design on the outside and covering it.  Make sense?  It just helps keep a crisp outline to the design.  The tulle does not show and makes a great option when you just don't want to use a water soluble or other stabilizer to top with.

Finally, I wanted to mention that I hooped a Tear-Away Soft stabilizer made for terry cloth.  This was from Baby Lock.  I floated the towel and tulle on top of the stabilizer.

I hope you are all having a good weekend.  I am helping Mike install a garage door opener in our new home today, then I am going to pop in at our local sewing dealer as they are having an open house.  I'm going to sign up for a quilting class there.  Finally this evening I have church activities, so a full day is in store for me.  It is about 38 degrees and our snow is melting.

Happy embroidering,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate each and every comment.
Thanks for taking the time to drop me a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...